Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Spicy Dry Ground nut/ Peanut Chutney



Most of the time my mother either makes the dry chutneys for me when she visits here or she sends it to me from back home. My aunt from Cochin also often send me the Kerala Chamandi. But every now and then I make some for myself. I like peanuts and wanted to make peanut chutney for a long time. Then one day I came across a recipe online which appealed to me.You can find the original recipe here.I made it and it came out perfect with the peanuts and sesame seeds nicely complimenting each other. My husband liked the taste and is now a staple in my household. It is my go to when I make idlis or dosas and have no time to make fresh coconut chutney! Here is the simple, quick & easy recipe: 


Recipe Source: The Indian Food Court by Pratibha Rao

Ingredients:


Dry roasted peanuts: 1 cup
Sesame seeds: 1/2 cup
Garlic: 2-3 small cloves
Aamchur powder: 1/2 tsp
Red chilli powder: 1/2 tsp ( you can use more based on the spice level of the chilli powder and your desired spice level).
Salt: 1/4 tsp

Method:


Wash the sesame seeds and dry roast it until it splutters.

Add the peanuts and dry roast it for a minute.

Turn off the flame and add the chilli powder, salt and amchur powder. Mix well.

Put the above mixture in a blender and powder it into a fine powder.

Store in airtight container in the refrigerator or outside. I have mine outside and has lasted 6 months now without any change in taste.

Serve with dosa, idli or even rice!

Enjoy!

Cooking made easy:


In the above recipe, I have used Plantar's lightly salted dry roasted peanuts. This saved me additional time of peeling and roasting the peanuts. If using fresh peanuts, you have to dry roast it and then peel it.

I have also used less salt because the  Plantar's peanuts is already lightly salted!

Tip for healthy living:


Both peanuts and sesame seeds are a great source of plant-based protein.Peanuts are also fondly referred to as " poor man's almonds". Peanuts are rich in folic acid and is helpful during pregnancy. It is also rich in minerals such as manganese& copper, amino acid tryptophan and vitamins  B 3 & amp; B 2. Peanuts are also rich in antioxidants and heart healthy fats. Hence peanut has health benefits on the brain, heart and the entire body!
Sesame seeds are also purported to generate body heat and thereby consumption of it is beneficial during winter.

Food for thought:

Time will pass and seasons will come and go. Roy Bean

No comments:

Post a Comment