Monday, June 23, 2014

Meatless Monday Cucumber-Avocado Salad



Salad is an integral part of meals in my home. This is especially true if I make one-pot rice dishes like pulao and biryani. I often play around with the ingredients in my salad depending on what is available in my refrigerator at that time.When I made this particular salad, I had lots of ripe avocados which I feared might go bad and wasted if I didn't use them quickly! I decided to toss them into my regular cucumber-tomato-onion salad. The result was a nice and creamy salad which even the kids enjoyed. Since I avoid dairy, most of the time I use olive oil-lemon juice marinade.I again play around with the herbs, the most common one that I use being cilantro( coriander leaves). I cannot help it, it is the Indian in me.:)

Servings: 4


Ingredients:


Cucumber: 1 medium sized.
Avocado: 1 medium sized.
Tomato: 1 medium sized.
Onion: 1 medium sized(Any onion can be used, I have used yellow)
Scallions( spring onion): 3
Lemon juice: from 1/2-1 lemon ( depending on the size)
Extra Virgin Olive Oil: 3 tbsp
Cilantro: 2 tbsp, finely chopped
Sea Salt: to taste
Black pepper: 1/2 tsp, freshly ground

Method:


Peel one cucumber and dice it. Dice one tomato, one onion( I have used white onion) and one avocado & add to the bowl. Chop up 3-4 scallions( spring onions) and add to the bowl. Now squeeze 1 tbsp lemon juice into the bowl. Add 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, 2 tbsp chopped cilantro/coriander leaves, 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper, sea-salt to taste and toss well.

Serve chilled.

Enjoy!

Cooking made easy:


The avocado when tossed like this in the salad, it gives a nice creaminess to the salad.

Lemon juice in the salad prevents the avocados from discoloring.

You can also add black/ green olives , carrots diced small, red radish diced,small cauliflower florets, feta cheese or cottage cheese to this salad and make it even more interesting and nourishing.

Tip for healthy living:


Cucumber slices may help alleviate the dark circles underneath the eyes. Cut cucumber into 0.5 cms thick slice and place them on your eyes with your eyes closed for 20-30 minutes. Take a nap. You will wake up feeling refreshed.


Food for thought:

Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.Confucius


No comments:

Post a Comment