Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Blackened Chicken; Diabetes Friendly Thursday





Amongst the nonvegetarian people in this world, one of the most commonly consumed food group is chicken. One could cook chicken in a hundred million ways; healthy and unhealthy. While it comes to appetizers that involves chicken, often it is fried in oodles of oil. Does it have to be that way? Absolutely not!!! There are many ways that chicken could be cooked with zero oil and yet be absolutely delicious. The best method for it is to grill or bake the chicken. I love anything that is grilled or baked: vegetables, fish or chicken. This week the DFT team brings to you a variety of grilled and baked dishes that are healthy and delicious! My contribution to this event is one of my favorites: Blackened Chicken.




Creating Recipes with a Cause!
I am a proud DFT blogger. 
To learn about DFT, read this link
To view more DFT recipes, Click here!





One would wonder what it could be when one hears " Blackened Chicken". Has the chicken been burnt?? What exactly is blackened chicken?? Well, let me tell you this: this is one of my favorite recipes. There are some recipes that you revisit over and over again.. This is one of them. This is my blogger friend Ruchi Airen's recipe. I have made this before with boneless chicken which came out very well and serves as a great appetizer. You can find that recipe here. The pictures in that particular post are kind of sad.. I will update it one of these days when I find some time. Needless to say, I like to think that I have come a long way in terms of my pictures from where I began. I still am continuing to use my iphone for pictures for this blog without much editing. I do not think my schedule could handle the additional steps of using a DSLR camera!! If I  have been posting less often now, then you may rarely see me!! May be when my kids grow up or I have retired, I could start re-doing all the pictures on this blog!! :) Until then, please go ahead and enjoy the recipes.. Trust me.. they are fool proof even if I say so..
Coming back to the chicken in hand,the fun of eating spicy drumsticks is entirely different. The best way I could describe this to my non-Indian friends is that it looks and tastes more like Jerk Chicken.While Ruchi's recipe which you can find here, is cooked over the stove top, mine is a modification of the recipe in which there are only two steps: 1.marinate the chicken, 2. Throw it in the oven and forget about it until the timer dings!! How easy is that. This works perfect for parties when you are cooking several other items. Try this recipe for yourself and let me know. I am positive you will fall in love with it! You can grill it on an outdoor grill too..



Servings: 3-4 ( 1-2 pieces per serving).


Ingredients:


Chicken drumsticks or thighs: 2 lbs( 6 drumsticks/ thighs)
Ginger garlic paste:  1 tbsp
Soy sauce: 1 1/2 tbsp
Vinegar: 1 1/2 tbsp
Garam masala powder:2 tsp
Salt: to taste
Red chilli powder: 1 tsp ( you can adjust the amount based on your spice level)

Method:


Clean the chicken thoroughly and make 3-4 slits in each drumstick for better marination. Add them to a big ziplock( plastic) bag.

Now add all the rest of the ingredients listed above to the ziplock( plastic) bag. Seal the bag and shake it nicely so that all the ingredients mix well with the chicken. Marinate it for at least 30 mins. I like to marinate mine overnight.

Preheat the oven to 375 deg F. Place the marinated chicken on a baking tray or baking sheet and bake for 30-40 mins or until the chicken is done, turning once in between.

Serve hot. You can serve it with some kind of dip if you prefer.I have served mine with peanut chutney/dip.



Enjoy! Iam bringing this to Angie's Fiesta Friday!! I love her fiestas and look forward to every Friday. Josette@thebrookcook and first time co-host Julie@hostessatheart are co-hosting this week. I am sure everyone will enjoy the healthy grilling options and recipes presented here.

Cooking made easy:


Whenever you have a gathering or party, plan the menu in such a manner that you have some items that can be made ahead of time like dips ; some items that need stove -top cooking and a few items that can be baked/grilled , like this blackened chicken which can be marinated almost a week earlier and left in the freezer. On the eve of the event, take it from the freezer and put it in the fridge so that it thaws. Then all you have to do it throw it in the oven  and leave it there until it is ready to be served. When I intend to keep the chicken in the oven for longer, I reduce the cooking temperature to 350 deg F.

Footnotes (Tip for healthy living):


Out of all the meats, chicken is healthier as it is white meat and low in fat.The fat content can be reduced even more by discarding the skin and fat layers before cooking. Since skinless chicken breast has only one gram of saturated fat per 100-gram (3.5-ounce) serving, chicken offers an easy way to eat protein while keeping consumption of saturated fat to a minimum.Chicken is a great source of protein comprising of 8 of the essential amino acids.A serving of 100 grams (about three ounces) of cooked skinless, boneless breast has only one gram of saturated fat and less than four grams of total fat.100 grams of skinless, boneless breast has 31 grams of protein – more than half the recommended daily allowance of 46 grams of protein for an adult female.
A single three-ounce serving of chicken (an amount about the size of a deck of cards) provides more than half the protein recommended for a typical day.Chicken is also a good source of niacin (vitamin B3), which aids in metabolism; vitamin B6, important to immune system and blood sugar level maintenance; biotin (vitamin B7), which helps cell growth; and vitamin B12, which is involved in nerve cell and red blood cell maintenance. Chicken also contains iron (oxygen transport and cell growth) and zinc (immune system functioning and DNA synthesis).

Disclaimer:


I am not a nutritionist or dietitian. My knowledge and information is based on my research and reading from different resources. Please consult your doctor or dietitian before making any changes to your diet.


Go ahead and grill away the summer with these delicious and healthy recipes from team DFT!

1 Sonal's Hibachi Tofu Steak.

2 Anupama's Grilled stuffed peppers


3 Shailja's Grilled summer vegetables.




4. Prachi's Grilled tandoori masala tikka


5. Chahat's Achari chicken tikka 


6. Vidhya 's Baked asparagus

8.Apsara's Grilled black bean veggie patties.



Food for thought:


An idea isn't responsible for the people who believe in it. Don Marquis

No comments:

Post a Comment