Monday, July 6, 2015

Refreshing Vegan Mixed Fruit Smoothie; Meatless Monday.



When we talk of smoothies, we automatically know that it is thick, has some fruit in it and definitely has yogurt in it. So what about all those people who don't consume dairy?? How do they enjoy the goodness of smoothies?? This was a question for me as well as I AVOID dairy. I decided that I could make a smoothie without dairy. Now technically, I don't know if the term " smoothie " is reserved to drinks that are made with yogurt only. I know that the smoothie that I made has the same thickness, creaminess, richness as that of a smoothie with yogurt in it. I can also tell you that it is absolutely delicious and refreshing! It is perfect for a sunny day. I  came across this recipe by accident. One hot morning when I was cooking while visiting my sister-in-law, I grew very hot and thirsty. I wanted something that was cold and refreshing but healthy and low in calories. There were a whole variety of fruits at home . I decided to make a smoothie..vegan, of course!! I  added a banana, a handful of blueberries, one grapefruit, a overripe peach, a dab of honey,  almond milk and some chia seeds and blended them together. Refreshing, delicious, healthy, vegan smoothie was ready!!



Servings: Four 6 oz glasses


Ingredients:


Banana: one , peeled.
Grapefruit: one, peeled.
Peach: one large, peeled.
Blueberries: 1 cup, washed.
Original Almond milk: 2 cups
Honey: 1 tsp
Chia seeds: 1 tsp ( optional) 
Cherries:4-5 for garnish

Method:


Add all the above ingredients to the blender and blend until smooth( around 1 minute).

Serve chilled. Can add ice cubes to the glass in which it is being served.
I have served it in small cups.



It is best to drink it immediately as the chia seeds will make the consistency of the smoothie thick with time.

Enjoy!


Cooking made easy:


Any combination of fruits can be used to make this smoothie. You can use whatever fruits you have on hand.

You can add some ice cubes/ tonic water/ seltzer while blending. I chose not to.

You can skip the chia seeds if you wish.

You can use sugar / any kind of sweetener instead of honey. I used honey because it is a healthier option.

Tip for healthy living:


Almond milk is a great alternative for people who want to avoid dairy or cannot tolerate dairy. It is low in calories with one cup of original almond milk containing only 60 calories compared to one cup of skim milk which has 80 calories. It also has a lower fat content and therefore is heart healthy. 

Food for thought:


Defeat is not the worst of failures. Not to have tried is the true failure. George Edward Woodberry.

No comments:

Post a Comment