I have joined a group called Chef at Large which has several amazing cooks with blogs of their own on it. This recipe I learnt from one of the members of the group Ruchi Airen.This is apparently her mother's recipe. You can find her recipe here.The beauty of this recipe is it's simplicity! I have neither the time nor the patience for recipes with a long list of ingredients,lengthy procedures and several pots and pans. I leave those to people with the inclination and time on their hands. This recipe was quick and easy to make with only 2 pots to wash! The aroma was enticing, and the taste absolutely delicious! You will definitely reach for second helpings!
The original recipe called for chicken drumsticks, I have used boneless chicken breast.
Chicken boneless breast cut into medium-small bite sized pieces : 1 lb.
Chili powder ( cayenne pepper): 1 tsp
Garam masala: 2 tsp
Ginger garlic paste: 1 tbsp
Soya sauce : 1 1/2 tbsp
Vinegar: 1 1/2 tbsp
Olive oil : 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Marinate cleaned chicken with all the above ingredients except oil. Keep it covered in the refrigerator for at least 30 mins.
Heat oil in a walk on medium-high flame. Add the marinated chicken and sauté till the chicken looks a little fried and the water has almost reduced. Reduce the flame to low, cover and cook for 5-8 mins. Open and sauté again on high flame until all water has evaporated . Make sure that the chicken has cooked through and through.
Garnish with onion rings and serve hot. Can be served with rice and dal/ rasam as a side dish or alone as an appetizer!
Cooking made easy:
- When you bring chicken home from the store, try to immediately clean and marinate the chicken before putting it in the freezer.
- Use a basic marinade of salt, pepper and lemon juice. Freeze them in small airtight containers or freezer bags in small portions.
- This way you can defrost just enough portion and make chicken anytime you wish without having to spend extra time on cleaning, marinating etc.
- Depending on the dish you are making you can add the additional marination ingredients and leave it for 10-15 mins.
- Chicken tastes better and is tender when marinated well
- You can do the same thing with fish too.
Tip for healthy living:
Why must we use organic or antibiotic-free chicken? Because those chemicals/medications will enter our body and affect the functioning of our body. Think of what it might do to our growing children!
Food for thought:
Every bit matters ( source: unknown).