Thursday, December 25, 2014

Christmas Special: Eggless Fruit cake / Tutti-Frutti cake








Time for me is a very scarce commodity with me being out of the house for 12 hours a day! Although, we do not celebrate Christmas, we DO celebrate the spirit of it. Therefore, I definitely wanted to make something special for this very special Holiday. It was also my mother-in-law's birthday this week, and in her honor I wanted to bake a cake. Well, I did however get a chance to do this only on Christmas Eve! I decided to bake a tutti-Frutti cake which I came across here. I however made some changes by adding a little cinnamon, nutmeg , cranberries and making it more like a fruit cake. I love the aroma of cinnamon and nutmeg wafting through the house! I also made it more healthier by using a 50: 50 ratio of whole wheat and all purpose flour. I add corn flour to give it the nice texture and the resulting cake was truly amazing! It was moist, flavorful and the most important part: the kids loved it! As usual, it is very simple and easy to make!



Servings: makes one 9x5 loaf


Ingredients:


Flour : 1 cup and 2 tbsp+ 1 tsp ( I used a 50:50 mix of whole wheat and all purpose flour)
Corn flour: 3 tbsp
Yogurt( curd): 1 cup
Sugar: 3/4 cup
Baking soda:1/2 tsp
Baking powder: 1 1/4 tsp
Vanilla essence: 1 1/2 tsp
Oil: 1/2 cup ( I used olive oil, any cooking oil without strong flavor can be used)
Tutti Frutti : 1/2 cup
Dried cranberries( Craisins): 1 tbsp
Cinnamon: 1/2 tsp
Nutmeg: 1/8 tsp
Milk: 1 tbsp ( for brushing the top)

Method:


Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

Grease a 9x 5 loaf pan and keep aside.

Sieve the flour and keep aside.

Mix 1 tsp flour with the tutti-frutti and keep aside. This is to prevent the tutti- frutti from sinking to the bottom of the cake.

Whisk the yogurt and sugar together until the sugar dissolves. 

Add baking soda and baking powder to this and keep aside for 5 mins. You will see bubbles appear. 

Now add the oil, vanilla essence, cinnamon, nutmeg powders and mix. 

Add in the flour little by little and gently mix. Do not overmix. The cake will become hard. 

Fold in the tutti-Frutti and cranberries.

Pour it into the greased loaf pan. Tap once against the kitchen counter to get rid of any air bubbles.

Place it on the center rack of the oven at 375 deg F for 10 mins. Then, lower the temperature to 350 degrees and bake for 25-30 mins.

Ten minutes before that time, take it out and brush the top with milk and put it back in the oven for 10 more minutes.

Check  if the cake is done by inserting a tooth-pick. Mine took 40 minutes total.



Take the pan out and let it cool for 10-15 minutes before taking the cake out of the pan. Let it cool down on a wire rack for 1-2 hours.



Slice only when the cake has completely cooled down.



Enjoy with a cup of tea/coffee or just like that the way my kids did!

Happy holidays!! I am bringing this to my special friends and Fiesta Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment