Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Alasande bee ani knol-khol ghalnu koddel ( Cow peas/Black-eyed peas and Turnip in coconut sauce).




In my kitchen all kinds of cuisines are cooked.But every now and then I get nostalgic for my childhood food. My mother always made one curry(randayi) and rice. She was simplicity at it's best. Today I was craving for Alasande bea( cow peas or black-eyed peas) koddel. I had one knol- khol ( turnip) left in the fridge. I decided to add it to my koddel. It was so delicious my husband not only took seconds but complimented me on it!

Servings: 4


Ingredients:


Alasande bee( cow peas): 1 cup soaked in water for atleast 6-8 hours or overnight.
Knol-khol( turnip): 1 medium, peeled and diced.
Salt to taste.
Water: 2 cups + 1 cup

For the coconut masala/gravy/ sauce:
Grated fresh coconut: 1 cup
Dry Red chillies:4-5 nos ( depends on the spice level of; the chilly).
Tamarind: marble sized if dry, 1/2tsp if pulp.
Water: 3/4 cup

For tempering:
Garlic cloves: 4-6 small cloves peeled and chopped into big pieces and lightly crushed.
Coconut oil: 1 tsp ( any cooking oil can be used.)

Method:


Grind all the ingredients under coconut gravy and keep aside.

Cook the cow-peas in pressure cooker with 2 cups water on medium flame for 15-20 minutes. Open the cooker only after the pressure from the cooker has completely ceased. Keep aside.

Cook knol-khol ( turnip) with 1/2 cup water in a pot until tender.Around 10 minutes. Keep aside.

When all the above are ready, mix it all together in pot big enough to hold it all. Now place it on medium heat and bring it to a boil. Once boiled, switch of the flame. Temper with the ingredients listed under tempering.

Tempering:

In a small frying pan, heat coconut oil, add crushed garlic and fry it until it turns slightly golden in color.
Add it to the above pot.


Serve hot with rice.

Enjoy!

Cooking made easy:


Cooking konkani food is easy.The basis for most konkani curries( known as Randayi) is the coconut gravy/sauce. With different temperings the Randayi takes a different name. If you temper with garlic it is koddel, if you temper with mustard seeds and curry leaves, it becomes ghashi, and if you temper with fried chopped onions it becomes ambat! One can make a plethora of dishes with this one basic masala.

When I grind this masala I make enough for 2 more curries and freeze it. When I feel like making something, I just thaw the portion of masala I need. Voila ! Dinner is ready!

Tip for healthy living:


Legumes are a great source of protein for vegetarians. They are low in fat, have no cholesterol, rich in potassium, magnesium, iron, folate and also a good source of dietary fiber.

Food for thought:

Hope is a waking dream. Aristotle

No comments:

Post a Comment