Monday, January 12, 2015

Butternut Squash Fries; Meatless Monday



Like anybody else, I like French Fries! Well, who doesn't??? I remember when I was pregnant with my first-born, all I used to crave for was French fries! The best tasting ones were from McDonalds! God knows what they add in there to make it so tasty! Anyways, all that is in the past. Many a water has known under that bridge! Not only do I avoid fried food, I do not eat potatoes anymore! For health reasons of course! That's puts a damper on that! Even before I used to make baked French Fries! Now I do not make them at all! That does not mean that ones in a while I don't crave them.. Well, I do... But I have swapped the potatoes with sweet potatoes! And I like the taste of it. Not too long ago, at the fiesta Friday, I came across butternut Squash fries! You know I had to try them! Especially, since I have butternut squash at home all the time!They looked sooo good! I must say that I tried it and I liked it! Thanks Andrea for sharing such a wonderful recipe with all of us. This one is a keeper! Who knew making fries was this easy! You can find the original recipe here.



Servings: 4-6


Ingredients:

Butternut squash: 1 medium
Corn starch/ corn flour: 2 tbsp
Olive oil: 1-2 tbsp
Salt: to taste
Black pepper: 1/2tsp, freshly ground (optional).

Method:



Peel the butternut squash using a regular peeler, remove the seeds and then cut it into 0.75 centimeter thick sticks/strips.



Preheat the oven to 400 deg F.

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil and keep ready.



Place the butternut squash strips in a plastic bag/ ziplock bag. Add corn flour, close the bag and shake it well until all the butternut squash pieces are coated with it.

Place the butternut squash strips on the baking sheet in a single layer. DO NOT OVERCROWD. If you overcrowd the strips will not become crisp. You might have to use more than one baking sheet or make more than one batch. I made 2 batches using 2 big sheets.



Lightly brush the butternut squash pieces with olive oil.

Place the baking tray on the middle rack. Bake for 15 mins, after which rotate the tray and bake for 15 more minutes or until the fries are crispy enough for your taste. Don't let them get burnt.


Take the tray out, sprinkle salt and black pepper, toss the fries with it.



The fries will be crispy on the outside and soft in the middle. They shrink significantly upon baking, so you might end up with a much smaller quantity than what you started with.




Serve hot, straight out of the oven with some ketchup.

Enjoy!


Cooking made easy:


Cutting and peeling gourds/ squashes can be challenging.The easiest and best  way to do it is to peel it first using a regular peeler and then slice/cut it any way you wish.

You can also place it for a few minutes in the oven/ microwave and then cut it. This method however does not work for fries!

Tip for healthy living:


Butternut squash  is a very nutrient-rich  food. It is one of the first vegetables that my children stared eating.

Food for thought:


Bring ideas in and entertain them royally, for one of them may be the king. Mark Van Doren



No comments:

Post a Comment