Saturday, November 29, 2014

Quick Egg Masala



What can I make for dinner tonight??? This is a everyday question that I ask myself! I then mentally run through the produce I have in my refrigerator. I usually make two items, one of which is some kind of greens like swiss chard/ Amarnath stir fry or vegetable stir fry like ghosale or poddale upkari,which will provide me with the bulk of the meal. This dish will generally be on the blander side. My husband likes his food spicy and I make something that will be the major player on his plate like batate song, chatpate aloo or something along those lines. The Matta rice kanji ( rice with water) is a given. The other night I was wondering what to make that was quick but spicy and delicious! I felt like eating eggs! I had already boiled the eggs when I put the rice in the cooker but didn't know what I was going to make with the eggs!Then I remembered seeing this recipe for kabab egg masala roast,my friend Seema Shenoy had posted on Facebook. I decided to make that with modifications of my own! ;) Believe me when I say that we almost licked the pan clean!! You can find the original recipe here.
I am bringing this to my friends at Fiesta Friday! Prudy and Jess are here to help Angie this weekend.



Servings: 2


Ingredients:


Hard boiled eggs: 4 peeled
Oil : 1 tsp
Jeera ( Cumin): 1/2 tsp
Green chillies: 2, slit lengthwise ( optional if you don't want it too spicy)
Onion: 1 small, chopped fine.
Garlic: 2-3 small cloves, chopped fine.
Fish curry masala: 1 tbsp
Cilantro ( coriander leaves): 1 tbsp for marination.


For marination:
Greek yogurt ( hung curd) : 2 tbsp
Ginger garlic paste: 1 tsp
Haldi ( turmeric) powder: 1/2 tsp
Kashmiri chilli powder: 1/8 tsp
Salt: to taste

Method:


Make slits in the eggs on all sides. Marinate the eggs  for 15-20 minutes with all ingredients listed under " for marination".

Heat oil in a frying pan.  Add cumin seeds, garlic flakes, chopped onion and sauté until they turn transparent. Add the slit green chillies and fish masala powder, sauté for few seconds. Add the marinated eggs with the masala and cook until the eggs are nicely coated and the sauce leaves the pan.

Garnish with cilantro leaves.

Serve hot with steamed rice/ chapati / bread.

Enjoy!

Cooking made easy:


For this above dish, I have used fish masala, while Seema has used kabab masala. Any leftover spice mix like chicken masala, bafat powder can be used for this dish. This is a great way to utilize the infrequently used spice mixes sitting in the pantry!

Tip for healthy living:


Whenever possible use brown eggs or organic eggs. These are supposedly much more healthier as they are from hens that have been fed organic feed and is for a major part free from pesticides and chemicals!

Food for thought:


The hardest years in life are those  between ten and seventy. Helen Hayes

No comments:

Post a Comment