Thursday, March 13, 2014

Bhajile Idli (Fried Idlis)



I have fond memories of my childhood associated with fried Idlis. My mother used to make them as a snack when I came home from school.Even today, fried idlis are one of my favorite evening snacks with a cup of tea. I also like it for breakfast. It is a easy-breezy breakfast item as the idlis are already made. All you have to do is slice them and fry them. There are many variations of fried idlis. One of my aunts(Pushpa Mahve)  fries them with chutney powder.




I mostly do mine the way Amma makes it, using asofoetida powder/solution. I am partial to the smell of asofoetida.

Servings: 2


Ingredients:


Idlis: 6 nos
Oil: 1 tbsp ( I use coconut oil, any vegetable oil can be used)
Salt: 1/4 tsp
Asofoetida powder: 1/8 tsp

Method:


Slice idlis horizontally into 2 equal pieces and keep aside.

Heat skillet/ griddle on medium heat. Smear oil. When the skillet is hot, place the sliced idlis in concentric circles. Sprinkle little salt and asofoetida. Let it fry for 3-4 mins on low flame.

Add some oil to the skillet and turn the idlis over and repeat the same process until they are golden brown.

Serve hot right off the skillet with some wet chutney or by itself!

Enjoy!

Cooking made easy:


Like I mentioned earlier, there are other ways of making fried idlis. My aunt sprinkles dry chutney powder over the idli slices and lets them roast. I guess any dry chutney powder would work.She also makes another variation by  slicing the idlis into small cubes instead of slicing them horizontally. That too tastes good.

 When your idlis don't turn out soft and fluffy, don't be disheartened. Fried idlis are a great way to make use of idlis that didn't turn out that great. This is what I call " best out of waste".


Tip for healthy living
:


Frequent small meals is better way to eat than large infrequent meals. When you eat frequent small meals, you keep the blood sugar level, thereby preventing spikes and dips. This in turn translates into better energy throughout the day and greater productivity. Another benefit of frequent small meals is that it boosts the metabolism thereby burning calories throughout the day and hence preventing weight gain.

Food for thought:


Hope keeps the world going.( unknown).

No comments:

Post a Comment