Monday, October 12, 2015

Coco-Choco-Nut Bars ;Meatless Monday


Bars with nuts






Bars without nuts


Often we see recipes on the back of food packages like that on the back of sugar package, flour package , inside of the butter carton and completely disregard it! Well, I too am guilty of that!! I usually like to try out recipes that have been made and tested by people and then the recipes have been shared. But this time I decided to be adventurous and do something that I have never done before( well, except for the chocolate chip cookies)! I tried a recipe that was on the back of a package! Of course, me being me, I had to modify the recipe and adapt it to my needs. I used whole wheat flour instead of all purpose flour( maida). I reduced the amount of sugar than what was listed as I thought that the suggested amount was an awful lot and also because I don't like my desserts too sweet. I added nuts to half of the pan and kept the other half nut-free as my son has nut allergies. I sprinkled the nuts on top instead of mixing it in. This way I could clearly demarcate the portion with nuts and the portion without nuts. I  have to say that I am glad I tried it! I liked both the portion with the nuts and the one without. It has a nice slightly crunchy exterior and a soft cakey interior. This recipe is definitely a keeper! And to think that I have been getting brown sugar for God knows how many years now!! Here is the easy and delicious recipe.


Bars with nuts



Servings : makes 24 medium-sized bars


Ingredients:


Coconut oil: 1 cup ( any cooking oil can be used.
Brown sugar: 2 cups + 1/2 tbsp
Eggs: 3, large
Whole wheat flour: 2 cups+ 1 tsp
Baking powder: 2  1/2 tsp
Vanilla essence: 1 tsp
Chocolate chips : 1 cup ( I used Nestle morsels)
Dried shredded coconut: 1 cup
Chopped pecans: 1/2 cup ( optional)
Salt: 1/2 tsp


Method:


Preheat the oven to 375 F.

Grease a 13"x 9"x 2" baking pan and keep aside.

Sift together 2 cups flour, baking powder and salt and keep aside.

Mix together the chopped pecans, 1/2 tbsp brown sugar and 1 tsp flour in a cup and keep aside.

Cream together oil and 2 cups sugar. Add eggs one at a time beating well after each egg. Add the vanilla essence.



Add the sifted flour mixture to the above mixture little at a time, mixing it well in between, until all the flour has been used.




Stir in the chocolate chips.



Pour this into the greased tray.


Sprinkle the pecans/brown sugar mixture on top of the batter in half of the tray.( optional)

Place the tray on the middle rack of the oven and bake for 25-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the middle. Mine was done in exactly 30 minutes!



When done , take the baking pan out and let it cool down completely ( atleast 1-2 hours) before cutting it into pieces. Mine don't look that pretty as I never do a great job cutting! But it tastes absolutely great!

Couldn't resist a bite before taking a picture!


Do try it and leave me a feedback. I am bringing these goodies to Throwback Thursday #10, Fiesta Friday # 90 and Saucy Saturday. At the Fiesta,Effie @ Food Daydreaming and Lindy @ Lindy Mechefske are co-hosting this weekend.


Bars with nuts

Bars without nuts


Cooking made easy:


Make sure that the baking pan is thoroughly greased otherwise the bars will stick to the bottom of the pan and not come out clean.

All purpose flour or maida can be used for this cake. That however would be a less healthy option.

Tip for healthy living:


Use whole grain flours like whole wheat, oat or multigrain flours whenever possible. These are much more nutrient-dense with much needed dietary fiber and vitamins and minerals.

Food for thought:


I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap of the favor of the kings of the world. Thomas A. Edison

No comments:

Post a Comment