Friday, August 7, 2015

Watermelon Pops



With the soaring temperatures here in NYC,my kids have been finding ways to cool down. As any children, my kids clamor for ice cream , Popsicles and juice. I try to give them as much healthy treats as possible by making them at home.  I have been on a watermelon roll these days. I made the watermelon crush the other day and today I am bringing to you watermelon pops. Kids get bored if you give them the same thing all the time. They need variety and so do we. My watermelon pops remind me of the adage " old wine, new bottle".


Basically what I did was pour the leftover watermelon crush into Popsicle mould and freeze it overnight! The little pieces of watermelon give the popsicles a nice texture. Perfect treat for my kids when they come indoors from the sun all hot and thirsty!!  Happy kids, happy mommy!! I am bringing this to Angie's Fiesta Friday! Wow, Friday comes by so quick!!



Servings: 6 Popsicles


Ingredients:


Finely chopped Watermelon: 1/2 cup
Watermelon juice: 1 1/2 cups
Honey: 1 tsp
Cardamom powder: 1 pinch

Method:


Add  all the above ingredients to a jar and mix well.   You can mix by closing the jar and giving it a good shake.

If you don't have any liquid from the watermelon that the watermelon naturally gives, just blend one cup of watermelon in a blender for 10-15 seconds. Watermelon juice is ready!

Pour these into Popsicle moulds and freeze it for 5-6 hours or overnight.



To remove them out, place the mould under running water for a few seconds, the Popsicle will come out clean.

Enjoy.

Cooking made easy:


You can try this with other fruit bits and juices too. I prefer watermelon as it naturally leaves out water when left sitting for sometime and I don't have to use any other juice for the liquid portion of the pop. My other healthy option would be tender coconut water.


Tip for healthy living:


It is always better to drink homemade fruit juices/drinks/ deserts instead of store-purchased ones as they contain high-fructose corn syrup, artificial colors and flavors and preservatives. However, even with home-made ones, make sure that you limit yourself as even fruit juices are concentrated sources of sugar.

Food for thought:


Take calculated risks. That is quite different from being rash. George S. Patton

No comments:

Post a Comment