Monday, February 9, 2015

Oatmeal made delicious; Meatless Monday.





How many of you eat oatmeal? How many of you like to eat oatmeal for breakfast? How many of you actually like oatmeal? Or do you force yourself to gulp a bowl of oatmeal because you know it is healthy and good for you and that's why you eat it? How many of you hate Oatmeal???



Well, I was one of them. I used to hate oatmeal!!! I used to say that I will never ever ever eat Oatmeal! Well, that was then.. This is now. Then I used to not like oatmeal because it was not made well. It was bland, dry and tasted like saw dust in my mouth. How can anyone eat that???Anything if made well can be relished! I know that I don't like my oatmeal too dry, don't like it bland. I like it well cooked, with a smooth consistency with lots of fruits and nuts! And then regular, plain oatmeal becomes irresistible oatmeal! I have found that steel-cut oats give a better texture than the old fashioned oats. I make it even healthier I add a tablespoon  of Flaxmeal and a teaspoon of chia seeds. This served with a whole banana and a cup of coffee is my breakfast most days of the week.



Servings: 1


Ingredients :


Oatmeal : 1/4 cup ( I used Trader Joe's steel-cut quick oatmeal). Any oatmeal can be used.

Water: 1 cup
Almond milk: 1/2 cup( regular milk can be used).
Chia seeds: 1 tsp

Toppings: (everything is optional)


Flaxmeal : 1 tbsp
Walnuts: 1 tbsp, chopped
Almonds:1 tbsp, sliced thin
Hazelnuts: 1 tbsp, chopped
Craisins: 1 tbsp
Raisins: 1 tbsp
Dates: 2, chopped
Strawberries: 2 small, sliced
Blueberries: 1 tbsp
Blackberries: 1 tbsp

Method:


Add oatmeal and water to a saucepan and bring to a boil. As it simmers, add almond milk and continue cooking until the oatmeal had reached the desired consistency.




Add the chia seeds, mix, cover and keep for 5 mins.



Take this in a bowl. Top with Flaxmeal,



all the nuts,







Craisins, raisins, dates and berries.



Mix and enjoy!



Note: I have not added any sugar or honey. You could add if you wish. I wanted it to be healthier.

I will bet that after eating this bowl of oatmeal you will not be hungry for a long time and you would never say no to oatmeal again! I am going to bring this to Angie's Fiesta Friday as I am sure everyone would love to make oatmeal more delicious! Suzanne and Sue wouldn't mind at all!

Cooking made easy:


Using more water/milk while cooking gives it a nice creamy texture and prevents the oatmeal from being dry.

If you plan to eat the oatmeal slightly later than the time when it was cooked, then make sure it is a little more liquidy when done. The reason being the oatmeal absorbs fluid as time goes by.

You can use any fruits/ nuts of your choice as toppings. You could even drizzle honey to sweeten it a little.

Tip for healthy living:


Oatmeal is extremely healthy. It is high in fiber and has a low glycemic index. It is therefore great for diabetics due to it's low glycemic index. It is heart-healthy, helps reduce cholesterol. It has both soluble and insoluble fiber therefore making us full when we may not be.It also keeps the gut regular and prevents constipation.

Food for thought:


The more we elaborate our means of communication, the less we communicate. J. B. Priestley

No comments:

Post a Comment